Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Change in Plans

I was supposed to be in DC this week, attending a training course that I must take before I can be eligible for my next promotion. Instead we ended up extending our stay in Colorado for medical reasons. A quick surgery later, and I am fine. Family and friends came out here to visit since our week in VA and my jaunt to NYC didn't happen. Aside from some hand-wringing over health concerns and recovering from surgery (not lift ten pounds for a week? ha!), I have enjoyed three weeks with my family. Turns out, I like Husband and these kids. Also turns out, Boy does better when he's not in school. He's been really great the past week, usual three-year-old meltdowns aside. I've been particularly impressed by his newly developed restaurant skills. In general, there has been a lot of scraping knees, throwing sticks and rocks into creeks, running around barefoot, and other child-worthy pursuits.

This whole trip has been food for thought on many fronts, not least of which is the parenting one.

We didn't lug the Canon with us, for lack of an arm to carry it. I've been relying on the iPhone and other people's cameras to capture our trip, which is a bit of a shame because the natural light in Colorado is killer. Below are a few more of our exploits. More to come, including pictures--and possibly even video--of Boy in his new tap shoes.

Family playtime in the kitchen.

Girl plays with her sensory box and Boy and Husband construct a painters' tape airfield.

Girl enjoys putting random things in an ice cube tray. Who knew?

Where'd-It-Go? hands.

Boy explores Garden of the Gods.

Your Friendly Blogger and Dzadza.

Grandma and Dzadza.

Girl sporting her Argentinian poncho: adorable.

Running to Husband.

Going in for the cuddle.

Hiding in a little cave.

So many rocks for the throwing.

Pike's Peak

Exploring, faithful Taggie in tow.

Ditchin' Daddy.

Happy Boy

I think someone was tired of the Estonian winter.




No comments: